Good Jobs For Manitobans

Are you thinking about a new career? There are good opportunities waiting for you in a variety of skilled and rewarding jobs, right here in Manitoba.

Learn more below about five careers that are in demand now, in Manitoba.

To get started on the path to a good job in any of these skilled jobs, contact Manitoba’s new Jobs and Skills Development Centres.

Don’t forget: If you are a high school student 16 or older, you can start training as an apprentice now with the High School Apprenticeship Program.

Carpenters

Certified carpenters work on a variety of building tasks in both commercial and residential construction. Carpenters can be found working with construction companies, renovation businesses and carpentry contractors.

In the last four years, the number of jobs in the construction industry increased by almost 20 per cent and the growth is expected to continue, creating good job opportunities for certified carpenters.

Total Hiring Demand: 922 job openings in Manitoba between 2014 and 2020.

Wages:$39,312 – $58,863 ($37,440 min as an apprentice)

Education and Training:To become a certified carpenter, you must complete four levels of training. Each level involves 1800 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a certified journeyperson, along with some technical instruction.


Welders

A certified welder has the knowledge and skills to cut, prepare, repair, install and join metals using welding equipment. Welders are in demand and work in many different kinds of businesses, such as metal fabrication shops, aerospace, construction and transportation.

With ongoing growth in the construction, manufacturing and transportation industries, the demand for certified welders will continue to grow.

Total Hiring Demand: 891 job openings in Manitoba between 2014 and 2020.

Wages:$39,312 – $61,152 ($24,960 min as an apprentice)

Education and Training: Aspiring welders can expect to apprentice for three years with 80 per cent of their time spent learning on-the-job, under the supervision of a certified journeyperson. The remaining 20 per cent is in the classroom learning the technical aspects of the job.


Heavy Equipment Operators

You can see heavy equipment operators at work across Manitoba using backhoes, bulldozers and excavators to help build and maintain our roads, bridges, airports, tunnels and various buildings. You can also find heavy equipment operators in mining and material handling work.

Today Manitoba is paving and repairing roads at rates never before seen in our province, and there is more work to do, putting heavy equipment operators in demand.

Total Hiring Demand: 731 job openings in Manitoba between 2014 and 2020.

Wages:$20 per hour, median wage

Education and Training:: Training for heavy equipment operators is approximately four to six weeks and includes a mix of classroom and hands on experience. Training is available through industry associations and unions. More information is available through the Manitoba Heavy Construction Association at MHCA.MB.ca.


Interactive Media Developers and Computer Developers
Interactive media developers write, modify and test computer code for internet applications, computer games, animation, film, video and other interactive media. Interactive media developers can be found working in software development firms, IT consulting firms and other IT units in the private, not-for-profit and public sectors.

Computer programmers use computer based languages or code to write and update software that businesses, government, educational institutions and scientists will use everyday.

Total Hiring Demand: 559 job openings in Manitoba between 2014 and 2020.

Wages: $19.71 – $42 per hour ($31.25 per hour, median wage)

Education and Training:: A university degree in computer science will help you gain a solid foundation in programming, though some are self-taught. Essential skills include: strong oral and written communication, a good grasp of numbers and mathematics and strong problem solving skills.


Aircraft Maintenance Journeyperson

An Aircraft maintenance journeyperson inspects aircraft, completes aircraft weight and balance reports, tows and taxis aircraft, and troubleshoots and repairs aircraft systems. Aircraft maintenance journeypersons are employed by passenger and aircraft carriers and in specialty repair shops.

Wages: $49,770 – $55, 650($23,920 min as an apprentice)

Education and Training: To become an aircraft maintenance journeyperson, you must complete four levels of training. Each level involves 1800 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a certified journeyperson and requires some technical instruction.

To get a job as an aircraft maintenance journeyperson, you are also required to have completed high school, and hold a valid Class 5 driver’s licence and a Transport Canada Aircraft Maintenance Licence (M).

Share This